Hubby Speaks

Friday, October 21, 2005

 
REACTIONS AND BRAIN PROCESSES

When we react to something, there are a few things
going on: emotions, the facts, the circumstance, and
the other people. How do we determine what set of
facts/circumstances warrant what level of response?
Is it possible to always run through a checklist of
emotional and factual items before we allow a type of
reaction? Isn't that what we do every time we react?
It is the process that our brains go through in a
split second, and we react based on the offense, the
level of offense, and the level of problems that the
offense causes us.

We do this all the time. For example, someone cuts you
off on the highway. In a split second, your brain
determines whether or not the incident was dangerous
or problematic enough that it should illicit a response.
And then what seems like an involuntary action from us
takes place. But actually, it is a completely voluntary
action. Based on if the situation had happened
before, based on how we are doing emotionally the
instant it happens, based on how frustrating the day
has been, based on how many other times recently you
have felt injured or slighted or taken advantage of,
your brain processes all that and spits out a
response. You act upon it or you resist it. Those are
the two options that we have.

If we become aware that all this is going on, then we
can participate in the process. I have come to
understand how my body works with regard to health
issues. When I am not aware of what certain things do
to my body when I eat them, then I am unable to draw a
line of understanding from the eating to the health
problem that results. But once I am aware of why the
body operates the way it does, then I can understand
that certain things that I eat or participate in will
bring about unwanted results. I enter into the process
of changing the unwanted result by changing part of
the process that leads to that result.

In the same way, being able to help people draw a line
connecting reactions to personal environment can help
us own the process instead of being enslaved to
whatever the outcome may be. You can train yourself
to be more involved in those split second decisions.
Awareness is the first step. Honesty and authenticity
follow close behind.

You can train yourself to be more involved in those
split second choices. Awareness goes up, and you build
into your framework the following questions: Is this
affecting me for extreme harm, or is it something that
will pass and I can just let go? Do I need to involve
myself in the situation, or can I stay out and off to
the side?

You can determine the severity of the situation, and
plan your response to achieve the outcome you desire.
Be honest about how you're feeling at the moment. For
example, just being aware of how tired you are will
allow you to not overreact when the children are just
doing normal stuff. It confuses those around you when
you react one way one day, and react another the next.
Your reaction isn't based on the other person's
action, as much as it is based on your stressed
emotions, lack of sleep, etc. It is all about knowing
your self and feeding that information into the mix of
other facts. That is what will bring about the perfect
reaction. Training your self to strip away the things
that are not truly relevant and giving credence to the
things that are true before reacting.

Comments:
There's never been a child born who did "normal stuff". I'll refer you to Bill Cosby's monologue where he talks about asking his son, "Why did you do that?!!". The response is always "I don't know."

Seriously, this was a thoughtful post. I enjoyed your comments on the previous post about the application of "values". Are you sure values weren't banned about the same time as "personal accountabilty"??
 
I am thinking about you could write a book about us if you came to Budapest and visit post offices, supermarkets, offices and all the places a lot of people go after their businesses all day. we usually react like angry dogs even in quite unoffending situations, making them offending soon. it's rare and cheering to come across kindness, patient and humour in our stressed and desperated people.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Let the SPAM begin!
I sense Word Verification in your future, unless that is, you choose to be stubborn like Courtney.

It's a lot easier to say that our reactions are involuntary.
That way we don't have to take responsibility for responses that are out of line. Thinking before we react takes discipline. Discipline is a dirty word, don't you know that?
As for those "other" drivers out there, I am not a horn honker or a flipper of the bird. I choose to quietly demean other drivers in the privacy of my car. I find great pleasure in calling them names and telling them how very stupid they are, all within the privacy of my car where they can't hear me, but I can let off a bit of steam.
They never know that I have greatly insulted them... but I do. (tee-hee) I have passed this trait on to our daughter, and it is a joy to behold.
 
Jamie Dear: You Prophet of Spam Doom. I turned my verification off the other day because it wouldn't let me post a comment on my own blog. It kept giving me the same idiotic letters over and over and wouldn't accept them.

So I "Over Reacted" and killed it. I wish some one would help me balance my reactions.
 
Mike: Thanks for the kind words. I believe a lot of things in our society left as a result of a lack of personal accountability.

Ariel: Send a plane ticket for myself and My wife and we'll be there.
What would be a good title for a book about angry Budapestians?

Jamie: I turned word verificatiOn back on "I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY NOW!
 
I was going to comment but I think that to get past the verification word I'd have to speak Bulgarian.
 
Kris: I'm most likely forgetting to include a lot of things and scenerios. That's okay. The main thing that is important to me is to initiate discussion on this topic and allow the wisdom of all who comment to fill in the spots that I miss. Therfore the discourse becomes a learning tool for all of us. Thanks for adding to the conversation.
 
Hubby, do you find yourself analyzing your family / clan more than you should? Do they ever feel like strangling you?

I know that mine does, sometimes. I have to try to choke it back. Or I'll use a technique on them that they say "Oh, I know THAT one. You're trying psychobabble on me now, huh?" Or "Quit trying to analyze me!"

The techniques seem to work best if the person you're using them on isn't aware of it.

Anyway, just curious...
 
Your word verification has resorted to Russian now:
"upomof". LOL!

We just have to stop and count to ten, huh?
 
Saur: Me, Analyze too much? Never. How is that even possible? Please don't ask my family this same question. Just trust that my answer is sufficient.
 
Hubby, *g*
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

2005-10-09   2005-10-16   2005-10-23   2005-10-30   2005-11-06   2005-11-13   2005-11-20  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?